Monday, June 24, 2013

I do believe I've been duped

There are too many people out there looking for jobs right now, and you know what that means...

Lots of opportunities for scammers.

I just finished up a bit ghost writing project for a freelance writing company that promised to pay me a set rate on a specific day. I turned in the project. Got praise for my good work. And waited. And waited. And...you get the point.

I didn't get paid.

For the record, I got this position through a friend. His wife is the woman I wrote the document for. I thought, "Hey, I know this guy. This should be the real deal." Maybe I was wrong.

I sent a kind email asking if I had been mistaken on the payday and guess what? I waited some more. I finally got a response saying that she was waiting for the client to review the document and send it back for me to look over one last time, but that it could take a week before she even gets it back.

And that's when I realized I had just wasted three weeks of my life that I could have spent searching for a better job that will actually pay me. I doubt I will see a paycheck for my efforts. I will keep you posted.

Anybody have advice for job seekers trying to avoid these kinds of scams? Post your comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment